Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday wasn't as bad as I feared.

My last post detailed my fear about this new trimester.

I found some consolation in the fact that there are only 2 weeks until break, so I can come up with something to last 2 weeks, and then I can plan out for the last 2 months. Are you bored yet?

I was fearing today my stuff would be all limp, my kids would be all irritable, my stomach would be doing its thing where it hurts, and I would be exhausted by 9 AM. Instead, everything worked, the kids loved it, we even got color copy enlargements (yes this is a BIG DEAL) of the maps of Mexico. They are totally into it. Hooray, Monday went by without incident. I came home all ready to make dinner, and yes, even our breakfast burritos rocked.



So while we were making dinner A was watching her new DVD of Fat Albert. I thought it would be fun to get this. I am not that crazy about it, but it did bring back memories. And I realized that Bill Cosby seemed to make a career out of creating positive media images of family for kids. Good for him! And then I randomly remembered the a statement he made about blacks not so long ago that was a little less than positive. It was wierd to hear him saying that. I wondered what happened between Fat Albert and when he said these things. He got old?



"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said, according to The Washington Post. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.'"

And honestly, I am more used to hearing Bill Cosby say things like this.

Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.


“Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think -- in a deeper voice.”


In researching this, I have good memories of listening to his records when I was little because my brother played them, and the doubled-over laughing until we were crying giggle fits that he brought us. He is 71!

My parents let me watch all the TV I wanted and then some. J's parents had limit (Good for them). I was largely raised by Love Boat, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Fantasy Island, CHiPs, Eight is Enough and the list goes on. That's Incredible, Wild Kingdom, Marine Boy...I could go on. Seeing that Fat Albert reminded me of all I learned from the TV, and not necessarily good stuff.

And Fat Albert, while funny sort of, I wonder if show as loaded with non politically correct ways would fly today. Again, I wonder about PC-ness, and whether it is actually a good thing.

No comments: