Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I'm a demographic: Manifesto

the demographic Dooce reaches: 89 percent women, most of whom are highly educated, tech savvy and young. The monthly checks add up to a "comfortable enough middle class to upper-middle class income," Jon said.

I just read Dooce's post with the front page story in the Salt Lake Trib, which is where the quote came from.

Lately and for a long time actually, the blog thing has been really unsavory to me. It seems like people obsessed with their own minutia detailing it online as if it mattered and others often commenting with the end of hoping to increase traffic to their own sites. Bleah.

My goal is usually to forget the minutia. Writing about it (unless I can somehow laugh about it) is a waste of time to me. Like the medusa-like admin dubbed Tattoo, who again took potshots at my student assistant who returned to me a little shocked that she had her own face melted off.

When I get bogged down by undesired stuff, instead of lashing out, I simmer about stupid things that happened during the day. I hate it. Like the admin, or the teacher who very gently dissed me in front of her class, to the annoying man that I have to work with for 46 minutes every day at work. So my goal is to forget, refocus, move on. Blogging about it, bleah, I want it to go away, why record it? And who cares anyway.

So blogging to me does seem like a very self-absorbed egotistical thing. The only redeeming thing is that I have always, since I was a little little girl, been a writer. And I still struggle and want to write. But rather than throwing every little thing out there, like the haghair I found on my chin or how much I want a new bike, unless its funny (at least a little) or informative/interesting or well written (like Dooce), I am not sure I can really justify it.

The quote I started off with just kills me. The marketers got my number. How aggravating.

Still I love manifestos. Everyone should have one. This is my blog manifesto

3 comments:

Mrs. T said...

I love Dooce, and I think it's great that she can make money blogging.
I took a writing class a couple of summers ago- it was part of the National Writing Project. Some of us posted things on the website and other participants around the country had the opportunity to read our stuff and respond. I kind of got addicted to the write/response kind of thing. My blog fills that void that I felt when the class ended.

Megan said...

And this is why I quit blogging (or, at least part of the reason). Well said.

Unknown said...

Good thankyou Megan, my lone commenter. I was wondering if I had offended everyone. Or if I was here in my own little private idaho.