Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Swim lessons

A is in swim lessons. I guess I am in parenting lessons too. The lessons are every day for 2 weeks. The first day, she did pretty okay, even though she didn't really do any of the stuff the teachers were leading through, she was more interested in being independent.

The second day, she got through the first couple things, but locked onto the toys, and that was the end. Everything out of her mouth from that point on was "NO!" The lesson ended prematurely for her that day.

At home she was singing the songs she learned, and kept asking to go to the pool. We kind of had a toddler sort of nonconversation about being a good girl at the pool, and tried to get her to put her arms out for when she does tummy floats.

After yesterday, I was wondering what is the best way to approach poor behavior in the classes. I decided that the abrupt end of the lesson, despite my own disappointment, was about the only thing I could do. I couldn't stay with her in the pool when she was behaving badly, it wasn't any fun anymore and she was disruptive and her yelling "NO!" was really not okay.

Today she did alot better. She pretty much held her own the whole time, and I was happy to have her more or less participating rather than yelling "no!" and marching off.

Yesterday though, I had to continually remind myself that I was lucky to be able to be at home with my kid. Because it just didn't feel that way.

Right now she is napping. (sound of relief) She is a good girl, but she is still 2.

No comments: