Monday, August 06, 2007

Pigeon or Dove? and my cheatin heart...

Ever met someone who just had to be right?

There were some doves in the parking lot. I made a light joke about the spirit of God being there...

Then an older woman, a woman who I know very little about except that she is rather unfriendly and she runs the school in the building there, let me know that those were not doves, they were pigeons and that was that. She pointed out the pigeon breeder close by. And repeated no, most certainly they were NOT doves, out of the question.

I couldn't have cared less, I preferred to think of them as doves and ignore her. This is how I am.

But then I remembered. And I wondered if it was right that what I heard about doves and pigeons being basically equal was right.

I read these things.

A turtle dove is the common name given to ringneck or mourning doves, (depending where you are). Dove covers them all, (dove family). Pigeon is the forms from the wild rock dove.
Pigeons and doves comprise the family Columbidae within the order Columbiformes, which include some 300 species of near passerine birds. In general parlance the terms "dove" and "pigeon" are used somewhat interchangeably. In ornithological practice, there is a tendency for "dove" to be used for smaller species and "pigeon" for larger ones, but this is in no way consistently applied, and historically the common names for these birds involve a great deal of variation between the term "dove" and "pigeon."
So there it is.

Summer reading, I have been poor.

I am still reading Silence by Shusako Endo. It is not a light book, but it is not too heavy either, and I like it, but it isn't the book I make time to enjoy or spend an afternoon with.

I just started This Beautiful Mess by Pastor Rick McKinley.

and this is where I admit, I have been cheating. I have been writing another blog, and actually have been more there than here, and enjoying it alot. sorry. I didn't think anyone would care...

I been here, making it homey. This is where you all find out what is really on my mind...

2 comments:

Mrs. T said...

I like to call them "squab"- mostly because I think it's funny and gross that people eat it.

And how about "paloma"? Beautiful name, especially since it means dove. But, it also means pigeons, which Woody Allen once referred to as "rats with wings".

Unknown said...

Yeah, I am wondering if anyone is seeing the hypocrisy or irony (as it was intended) in this whole scenario...